Our country! our motherland INDIA. We all our proud and can say with all our heads held high that we are Indian. Everyone loves their own motherland but when we talk about love, our love towards India is different from all. We Indians can do anything for our country and are always ready to protect it.
As aptly said by Max Muller, a German Scholar: “If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts. has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.”
In this Independence day let us unravel some of India’s unknown facts. like who discovered it, How old our country is and many more.
Discovery of India
Vasco da Gama was the first person to ever discover India. He was a Portuguese explorer who first sailed to our lands from Europe. In 1497, John’s successor, King Manuel I, chose Vasco da Gama to lead a Portuguese fleet to India. In search of a maritime route from Western Europe to the East. With the help of a local navigator, da Gama was able to cross the Indian Ocean. He was able to reach the coast of India at Calicut (now Kozhikode) in May 1498.
Why was India found?
As Gold, spices, and other riches were valuable in Europe. They had to navigate long ways over sea and land to reach them in Asia. So, in serach for the easiest route India was discoverd.
How old is India?
India is approximately 2,50,000 years old. Our incredible India is know as the home to all the diverse cultures. It is the oldest civilization, We have got traces from the Bronze age the earliest known civilization. Archeologists and historians believe that the Indus Valley Civilization is the same as the civilization of Meluhha, mention in Ancient Mesopotamian texts.
Who designed the Indian Flag?
The flag has undergone changes in the past decades, its basic framework is credited to Pingali Venkayya. In 1921 Venkayya presented a basic design of the flag to Mahatma Gandhi. The flag was of two common colours green and orange. These colours represented the hindu and the muslims, two major religion communities.
The eventually Gandhi made some changes and added the white band which signifies peace. The Ashoka chakra in the middle also adds up meaning to the flag. The 24 strokes in the chakra depicts the following:
1. The first Spoke:- Chastity (inspires to live a simple life)
2. Second Spoke:- Health (inspires to be healthy from body and mind)
3. Third Spoke:- Peace (To maintain peace & harmony throughout the country)
4. Fourth Spoke:- Sacrifice (To be ready for any sacrifice for the sake of the country and society)
5. Fifth Spoke:- Morality (To maintain high morality in professional and personal life)
6. Sixth Spoke:- Service (Ready to serve country and society when needed)
7. Seventh Spoke:- Forgiveness (A feeling of forgiveness towards humans and other creatures)
8. Eighth Spoke:- Love (feeling of love towards the country and all other creature of the God)
9. Ninth Spoke:- Friendship (To have cordial relation with all the citizens)
10. Tenth Spoke:- Fraternity (To develop a sense of brotherhood in the country)
11. Eleventh Spoke:- Organization (Strengthening the unity and integrity of the nation)
12. Twelfth Spoke:- Welfare (Participation in welfare activities related to country and society)
13. Thirteenth Spoke:- Prosperity (Actively participate in the development of the country)
14. Fourteenth Spoke:- Industry (To assist the country in its industrial progress)
15. Fifteen Spoke:- Safety (To be always ready for the protection of the country)
16. Sixteenth Spoke:- Awareness (To be aware of the truth and don’t believe in rumours)
17. Seventeenth Spoke:- Equality (Establishment of a society based on equality)
18. Eighteenth Spoke:- Artha ( Optimum utilization of money)
19. Nineteenth Spoke:- Policy (To have faith in the country’s policy)
20. Twentieth Spoke:- Justice (Talking about justice for all)
21. Twenty-one Spoke:- Co-operation (working together)
22. Twenty-second Spoke:- Duties (To obey your duties honestly)
23. Twenty-third Spoke:- Rights (Do not abuse your rights)
24. Twenty-Fourth Spoke:- Wisdom (To have knowledge beyond books)
At last wish you all a Happy Independence day!